1916 – The Next Generation Takes On The Business
In 1916, James sold the business to two of his sons, Charles and Leon Edward (Ed). Their brief partnership was dissolved in 1917 when Ed joined the Army and served overseas for eighteen months. After Ed’s discharge from the service, he and his wife, Mary Lou, settled in San Antonio where he worked in the painting trade for almost 10 years. In 1927, Ed started his own painting firm under the name L.E. (Leon Edward) Travis.
In 1945, Ed’s sons joined the family business. Leon Edward Jr. and Milton Earl worked with their father for four years before his retirement in 1949. During this time the business offices moved from Third Street in downtown San Antonio to Melrose Place in the Olmos Park area. In 1952, the business was sold to Leon Jr.